Did you know sugarless gum can prevent cavities? No matter what time of day it may be, not brushing after meals allows more time for food and drink residue to sit around in your mouth promoting the buildup of plaque. Plaque buildup can contain unhealthy bacteria which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Chewing sugarless gum can wash away the harmful debris, and keep your mouth cleaner for longer. Sugarless gum has a wide array of benefits:
– Sugarless gum can also prevent heartburn. This is beneficial because the acids in your esophagus can damage your teeth.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can fight cavities. The chewing gum itself doesn’t fight cavities, but the act of chewing increases saliva flow.
– Sugarless gum helps after meals, but it is not a substitute for brushing and flossing.
– Be sure to choose sugarless chewing gum that has been awarded the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Sugarless gum increases saliva flow, which washes away food and other debris. Saliva also neutralizes acids originating from harmful bacteria, and can provide disease-fighting substances to combat threats with the mouth.
Sugarless gum should not be used if you experience any tooth sensitivity or jaw pain. If you would like more information, or if you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Joseph N. Falco, please contact our fantastic staff here at Pennyrile Family Dentistry by calling us at 270-632-6404. You can also stop by our dentist office in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. Come in today, and let us help ensure you have the happiest of fall seasons, and many more great seasons to come!